Anambra State governor, Prof Charles Soludo, has stated that Prophet Chukwuemeka Ohanaemere popularly called (Odumeje) and others whose properties were affected in the ongoing demolition must pay for the cost of demolition.
According to the governor any of such people who refused to remove such marked property by themselves must pay for the cost of demolishing them to the government.
He also disclosed that two Catholic churches were awaiting demolition in line with the state government’s plans of the State urban renewal.
“It is costing us money. They had several notices to remove such structures, but they refused.“The demolition started on Thursday, and so far so good. The demolition went well, except for Pastor Odumeje, who according to the report drove in, in a brazen manner and attempted to take over the equipment.
“Of course, state work must go on, and security had to stop him. This was a man who was in several meetings we had, and also spoke. In fact, this is costing us money, and the structures should have been removed before now, but they chose to test the resolve of government.
“Once we are done with this exercise, we will compile the bills and send to the persons involved, and they must pay.”
“Two Catholic parishes involved in the illegal structures demolition are St Dominic Catholic church and Our Lady Queen Catholic church all in onitsha” he said .
He said the parish priest of Our Lady Queen Catholic Parish was around when the demolition team visited, and even granted an interview.
He regretted that Pastor Odumeje took the laws into his hands and attempted to stop the exercise, adding that the state would not allow itself to be intimidated by anybody.